Why I Chose Learning Disability Nursing

Why I chose Learning Disability Nursing

The whole way through high school I never knew what I wanted to do as a career I liked taking photos and that was about it! So when I was 15 I started volunteering at a club for adults with learning disabilities one night a week and I knew I had found what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

After that I studied health and social care the was lucky enough to get a job working with people with learning disabilities for 3 years. I loved my job an all the people I supported and I knew I wanted to do more and make a positive change so I decided to go to study learning disability nursing, which I started last September:

Even in 2019 I feel like there’s such a huge stigma around people with learning disabilities and a huge part of that stigma is people don’t understand, when people don’t understand they’re scared. People with learning disabilities are no different to those without a learning disability they’re humans they love, think, feel, feel happy, get angry and feel sad. It’s just because of their learning disability this can be expressed differently. Which can be so frustrating because if you’re unable to communicate how you feel to someone how would you feel?

I chose to study learning disability nursing for all the people with an ld who can’t speak out themselves I want to be able to make positive changes for them. I want to understand further how different conditions work and how that can affect a persons understanding and communication. I want to make sure that people with learning disabilities are always treated as an individual with the dignity, respect and care they deserve. I want to ensure that no one with a learning disability is ever subjected to abuse that happened years ago because people didn’t understand. I want to make sure that every person I work with is heard, properly care for, loved and treated the way you and I would want to be treated. I want to be able to educate people about learning disabilities to take away this stigma and fear of the unknown people seem to have. 

Did you know that 25-40% of people who have a learning disability also have a mental health issue? If your someone with a mental health condition which I am you know how hard it is to express how you feel without a learning disability or communication difficulties on top of that.

So please if you see someone with a learning disability in the street don’t gawk a them, don’t whisper to someone beside you and just don’t be a dick. Try and understand and educate yourself about learning disabilities. Just think how you would feel if someone done that to you or if you were unable to communicate how you felt. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes for a minute.

If you do anything today look up Frank Stephen’s a man with Down’s syndrome who campaigns for people with Down’s syndrome. Watch his speech on YouTube he is an amazing man who expresses the issues those with DS face amazingly.

Ps I think it’s beautiful and a step in the right direction that companies like River Island are using models who have disabilities and I’ve just seen Benefit cosmetics have their first Downs Syndrome brand ambassador. These are all steps in the right direction showing everyone that people with learning disabilities are no different and are being given equal opportunities.


Comments

Popular Posts